Welcome to Big Old Goofy World . . . a place where I can share my thoughts, hopes, and dreams about this rock that we live on and call home.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Personal Record!!


Today was my 53rd birthday--a new personal record for longevity!  I have never been this far before!  That was cause for celebration and celebrate I did.  The family all gathered at my favorite steak house (Montana Rib and Chop House) to have a few beers and great steaks.  It was a great time had by all and I appreciate the family that came out--all the Keeners, Pattees (the daughter's in-laws), and Kelly who will a Pattee soon enough.  We had great beverages, food, and even better laughter around the table.  It was a great night to celebrate this milestone.  In fact, it was a pretty good day all in all.

I had lots of birthday greetings from many of my friends on Facebook--people who have spanned the last 30 years of my life.  I survived all of their greetings and teasing.  I received a lot of well wishes and a wonderful card from my fellow employees at the college where I work--the ladies we gracious while ribbing me on--it is nice to know that they care.  I got phone calls from my prodigal son in Fort Collins, Colorado--a call from my brother in Maryland even though he was in the hospital--and, I got to talk to my sister.  My younger brother called earlier this past weekend and sent his well wishes too.  I even got a nice write up on my daughter's blog--http://misscandacepk.blogspot.com/2011/05/big-53.html--it is nice to know that I did make an impression on her after all.  It was a pretty darn nice day!

I must admit that I am thankful that they did not drag out a cake with 53 candles blazing.  The cake would have melted.  People would have gathered around to roast marshmallows.  We could have had a pig pickin' party.  The fire marshal would have shut down the establishment.  My daughter doesn't think my heart could have taken it.  I would have had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out and that would have ruined the cake.  Yeah, I know, 53 candles is a heck of a lot of candles--we could have heated the house for a week with the heat thrown off them.  Instead I got a little cream de mint thingy with one candle and then got in trouble for blowing it out before they finished singing "Happy Birthday".  Oh well . . . it was my birthday!

I want to thank everyone who wished me a "Happy Birthday"--for the cards and gifts I received--and for the great time breaking bread and laughing around the table.  That was the greatest gift.  Thank you for making this a special day to celebrate this new personal record.

Just a quick side note: Can you imagine what it would be like for Jesus to have to blow out the candles on his birthday cake--someone said that it would be nearly impossible.  I think whoever said that did not understand who Jesus was, but still--over 2,000 candles!  I had a hard enough time blowing out the one this evening.  So, the question for the evening, can someone make a birthday cake so big that Jesus couldn't blow out the candles?  Oh, ye of little faith . . .

 
They never taught us about this in seminary!

No comments: