Welcome to Big Old Goofy World . . . a place where I can share my thoughts, hopes, and dreams about this rock that we live on and call home.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Gaining on God



This little tidbit was in the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated (November 28, 2011): Mr. Popularity. When a recent Public Policy Polling survey revealed that Packers QB Aaron Rodgers was viewed favorably by a record 89% of Wisconsin resident, the firm set out to find someone more well-liked.  In a poll of 800 Americans on how favorably they viewed famous folk, it did--barely.  These were the five that they shared: Abraham Lincoln, 91%; Jesus Christ, 90%, Aaron Rodgers, 89%; George Washington, 86%; and, Mother Teresa, 83%.

Thanks to this poll I now know what the "G" on the side of the Packers football helmets stand for: GOD.  Its got to . . . how else do you explain Aaron Rodgers being more popular than the first president of the United States of America and the next saint, Mother Teresa?  How else do you explain that Aaron Rodgers was only one percentage point behind Jesus Christ?  (Well, on that one I just think that most people like Jesus a lot more than God--they can relate to Jesus, God . . . well, God seems a little more stand-offish.)  Yeah, that "G" has got to stand for "God"--how else do you explain it?


Now, I want everyone to understand--I am not a Green Bay Packers fan by any stretch of the imagination.  No, I am far from being a Packers fan--I am a die hard Minnesota Vikings fan and have been since the dark ages of the National Football League and Fran Tarkenton was the quarterback for the Vikings.  With that being said, I have a low tolerance for Green Bay and anything related to Green Bay.  Green Bay has always been a burr in the saddle for any true Viking fan.  That being said, I must admit that the Packers have been impressive since winning last year's Super Bowl--they are undefeated at 11-0 and have beaten all challengers so far this year.


I just did not realize how much they were God's team.  I had always thought that the Notre Dame Fighting Irish were God's team--come on, they have "Touchdown Jesus"!  Check out the picture above and compare it to this one:



Note the similarity . . . scary, isn't it?  Explains a lot doesn't it?  It has been a long time since an NFL team has been on a winning streak like this--plus to be this far into the season and still be undefeated.  I think the Packers have a little divine assistance--an extra special "twelfth man".  Yeah, God.  It is difficult enough to beat a team on a roll, but having to beat them and God . . . good luck!

Whatever the case, it has been fun to see the Packers keep on winning.  They seem to find ways to win and stick to their goals for the season--win the division, get into the play-offs, and defend their championship in the Super Bowl.  As far as they are concerned going undefeated is just icing on the cake.  I wouldn't bet against them--it is not good to bet against God.  The Bible is full of examples of those who bet against God and the results were not pretty.

Well, I know I am not betting against God . . . especially with Aaron Rodgers gaining on Jesus in the popularity polls.  I figure they go undefeated during the regular season and he will easily past Jesus in popularity.  In fact, it might be too late:



If it's on the Internet it has to be true.  I never imagined Jesus as a "cheese head"--but a picture is worth a thousand words!  Oh well, at least I still have my Nebraska Cornhuskers . . . and since God switched over to the Packers and Notre Dame is out of the picture we still have a shot . . . a long, long shot!  Oh well, I guess that is what you call faith!

No comments: